Here is a collection of my favourite recipes from across the internet, ones that I use regularly. They’re so good that I have made little to no changes to them, and I have to share them with you.
To save you reading the same thing over and over again, here are simple substitutions that I use all the time, without thinking:
- Butter == Oil. If you want a buttery taste, use one of the following dairy-free spreads: Naturli (Sainsbury’s), Vitalite (various) Koko.
- Milk == dairy-free milk;
- Shortening == Coconut oil
- Tofu spare ribs
- Halve the sauce;
- Use any kind of vinegar, skip the sriracha for less spice, use garlic if no garlic powder.
- Carrot dhal (Anna Jones / The Guardian)
- Skip the pickle and cut down the cinnamon
- Black pepper tofu (Yotam Ottolenghi)
- Cut the pepper down to 1 TB, and use just one chilli.
- Cook the tofu and make the sauce in different pans at the same time to save time.
- Add water to the finished sauce to help it coat the tofu.
- Serve with rice cooked with a teaspoon of Chinese five spice.
- Shepherd’s Pie (Pinch of Yum)
- I prefer Delia Smith’s recipe for mash.
- Roasted mushroom, walnut, avocado and pear salad (Oh She Glows)
- Lentil salad (Veganomicon)
- Burnt Garlic Un-fried Rice (Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken)
- If you double the recipe, you can avoid being stuck with half a block of tofu.
- Butter cauliflower curry (Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken)
- Consider adding some extra liquid.
- Loaded potato skins (Chowhound)
- Use Sainsburys dairy-free cheese and tofu bacon, skip the sour cream;
- Add the bacon just before serving, so it doesn’t burn.
- Brussels sprouts in garlic butter (Genius Kitchen)
- Replace the butter with oil
- Beetroot and carrot pakora
- Besan flour is aka gram flour or chickpea flour;
- I skip the chilli powder;
- I replace some of beetroot while carrot for a change.
- Carrot and cabbage salad
- Potato pancakes (It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken)
- Keep them thin, and use a little more salt.
- Pancake tips:
- Mix as little as possible — stop a few seconds after the flour is mixed in.
- I rub a tiny amount of oil on the pan
- Keep the heat low so they cook all the way through.
- Fire on some golden syrup, or lemon juice and icing sugar, or maple syrup. Yas.
- Pancake tips:
- Tofu bacon (Genius Kitchen)
- Popcorn (Make popcorn salt by grinding regular salt in a pestle and mortar. Skip the butter)
- Faux gras / vegan pâté
- Barbeque tempeh wings (Broke Foodies)
- Tahini/lemon/garlic (Veganomicon)
- Use this as a sauce for vegetables or as a salad dressing. Leave out the dill!